Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 54 - Ups and Downs


Bike and Build is an experience that is filled with extreme highs and lows. One day, your legs feel spectacular, the ride is beautiful, the wind is at your back. Other days, your body feels miserable, rain and wind impede your journey, you do not want to ride your bike. However, I speak for all of us when I say that none of us would trade this experience for anything else in the world. We have learned so much about ourselves and the human spirit and we continue to learn more as the journey continues. One day, as I was riding, I saw that one of my teammates had chalked these words on the ground:

"When your body is tired, bike with your mind."

A few miles later, an additional line was chalked:

"When your mind is tired, bike with your heart."

These words are dead on when it comes to Bike and Build. There are many times when we are physically and mentally exhausted; however, our hearts remain strong and loyal and we remember what we're biking for. We're biking to give others a chance to live our their dreams so that they can use their bodies, hearts, and minds to accomplish their goals. They will in turn help others do the same!

Today was another day of ups and downs. We climbed for nearly 30 miles and we rewarded with an easy 16 miles down into the town of Meeker. Tonight is out last night in Colorado. Tomorrow, we'll cross into Utah, a bittersweet state line. 

I've got one more thing to share tonight. A few weeks ago, Kat, Sarah, Marcus, and I made up a song that we sing during those low time. It is an adaptation of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. It's everything that we like on Bike and Build!

Dry lube on chain rings and playing with frisbees
Bright neon chamois and applying sunscreen
DMing dinner and lots of ice cream
These are a few of my favorite things

Contrasting tan lines and host sites with cookies
Pulled pork at lunches and grease marks on rookies
Feeding the donkeys and horses peach rings
These are a few of my favorite things

Tattoos on Tuesdays and build sites with nail guns
Blue Gatorade and friends giving back rubs
Descending mountains when it's not raining
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dogs chase
When the sun burns
When I'm feeling sore
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so poor!

Cycling in tail winds and dancing at state lines
Possessed baby dolls and deer cane roadside finds
When dinner's provided and feasting like kings
These are a few of my favorite things

Speeding up hills with refried bean charged farts
Exploring cool places like Decatur and Stuttgart
Giant group hugs when everyone sings
These are a few of my favorite things

When the quiche molds
When my knees hurt
When I'm getting vanned
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!!

That's all! 109 miles tomorrow with a 4:30 wake up! Gotta be on the road at 6!

1 comment:

  1. Love the poem!! Reminds of you girls growing up!! We did have fun!! Didn't know you were poets as well! xxxoooo mom

    ReplyDelete