Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 25 - Day Off in Little Rock


I awoke this morning at 8:00. It was sleeping in compared to the 5:00 wake up calls we have grown accustomed to. I woke up peacefully swinging in my hammock to the sounds of birds chirping and fish jumping in the Arkansas River close by. It was a perfect morning to reflect on the trip and life in general. This pattern we have of constantly moving from place to place is a lifestyle that we have become used to. Every day we have a different place to call home. 

I got up out of my hammock and didn't know what exactly to do with myself. We were required neither to bike nor build today. It was a day we had all to ourselves. It was such a peaceful morning that I decided to take a short run just to get another form of exercise. I got my shoes on and started down the bike path next to the host site. 

I ran, marveling at the rock formations around me. I didn't know that Arkansas had such scenery. I followed a gravel path labeled "Quarry Overlook." The rock cliffs were beautiful. I stopped to take pictures. 


I climbed some rocks to get a good view of the river 

The path I took

After I got back, other people were awake and we chatted before deciding to walk into town. Little Rock is an amazing little city. We walked around the farmers market chatting with the locals. We bought some strawberries and some new shirts. It's exciting to have something new to wear!


We went to a festival called "Juneteenth." It celebrates the Civil Rights Movements and seeks to further empower the people of Little Rock. We listening to two little boys rap. They were pretty good!


After that, we decided to walk back home to relax and write some postcards. We had a good chat and the 2 miles back to the host flew by.

Tonight, we ate some delicious jambalaya and ice cream and chilled out by the river listening to Dan play guitar. 

  
Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the toughest days of the trip. We climb through the Ozarks 85 miles to Russellville. Our legs are rested and ready to climb. We are all excited because our teammate, Sarah, will be riding tomorrow for the first time in a while due to a long list of ailments. We joke that she is not failing at riding her bike, but actually succeeding in finding out all the ways how not to ride a bike. Just like how Thomas Edison discovered 1,000 ways not to invent a lightbulb. She has had such a good attitude this whole time. It is really admirable!

Well the ants are biting my feet and I'm going to go chat with my teammates now. Have a good night and thanks for reading!

My friends Sarah and Kat and me in a fountain in Little Rock. We have nicknamed ourselves the "Pinta, the NiƱa, and the Santa Maria."

No comments:

Post a Comment